A community in Atlanta's South Metro has been rocked by a four-day outbreak of violence that has killed six people. Nicholas Martez Nelson, 38, was arrested and charged with four counts of murder in connection with the series of murders. Authorities say more charges will come as they work to piece together the pieces of the violence. If the evidence matches, police expect to bring charges against Nelson and others linked to the burglaries.
Meanwhile, authorities are asking the public for help in identifying the victims, who are in the Newnan area. We ask anyone who has family members in this area to call the police as we are carrying out social checks so we can confirm if the family member is OK.
Evidence collected at the scene, including two weapons believed to belong to Nelson, is being investigated, though it is unclear if they were used in the shooting. Police are asking anyone with further information to contact the Newnan Police Department at (404) 662-5555 or the Georgia Bureau of Investigation at (888) 746-4477.
Police do not believe there is any threat to the public, but have not ruled out the possibility of more victims of the shooting and other possible suspects. Police say prayers are needed to heal and they do not believe there is an acute threat of further casualties, nor do they believe there are any threats to the public.
Paddlers can tie the boat to the ramp and take it to a campsite, but camping reservations are not required. You can register at one of the four campsites in the area and at other locations on the lake.
The park even offers screened-off accommodations - in Adirondack - for families and groups looking for a unique camping experience. While most of the park has been left in its natural state, campers can behave well enough to stay within the park boundaries, according to the park administration.
A boat ramp provides easy access to the water, as does a 15-mile highway with 16 bridges and more than six miles of forest paths open for hiking, nature and photography.
Covering 2,910 acres, protected by a five-mile river promenade, Chattahoochee Bend is one of Georgia's largest state parks. The park is located in a graceful curve of the Chattaha River and is a paradise for paddlers, campers and anglers.
F & D. Cole Manufacturing Company opened a sawmill and expanded its interest in the construction of steam boilers, tanks and industrial plants. Newnan's first cotton warehouse was built, other businesses were established, and the Temple School for Women college was founded. The school has since built a number of schools, including the University of Georgia, Georgia State University, the Georgia Institute of Technology and Georgia Tech. In 2001, it was recognized by the US Department of Education as the City of Excellence in the National Education Progress Assessment (NAEP).
Proud of their community, residents built spacious new homes in the streets around the courthouse. By 1829, Newnan had enough houses to support all the families who settled in the area, as well as a school, hospital and church.
Newnan remained largely untouched by the Civil War and therefore still has a lot of antebellum architecture. Many of the city's 20th-century houses were designed by the famous architect Kennon Perry, and a donated mill and village house once owned by Ruby Caswell opened as Newnan's first public library in the early 20th century.
In the 1825 Indian Springs Treaty, Chief William McIntosh ceded the land to the federal government, and the treaty was signed and Coweta County was established. In 1826, the county town of Newnan was named in honor of North Carolina General Daniel "Newnan" Newnan, a member of the Cherokee Nation. After Newnamn replaced the defunct town of Bullsboro, it became Cowland County's county seat in 1828. The new county headquarters were built on the site of a former train station at the intersection of I-20 and I-285, called Newannan, named after the first governor of North Carolina, Daniel Newan Jr. (1821-1828).
Due to its strategic location near the railroad, the city was chosen as the site of a Confederate military hospital. The first surgical team arrived in 1863 and took over most of the large buildings in the city. With the increasing number of war victims, buildings such as schools, churches and large houses were used as medical facilities. Wounded soldiers from the north and south were treated at the Battle Hospital in Newnan.
Union troops under Gen. Edward McCook tried to take the railway line but were stopped by the Newnan cotton factory and its employees. The cotton mill workers in Newnam joined others from across the South in their fight against the Confederate Army of Georgia. In 1863 the "Cotton Mill of Newnan" was founded, and a year later the "Cotton Mill of East Newnans" was founded.